2 Corinthians 4:7 says: "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." This is a great reminder that as I spend my time doing pre-college training (PCT) with my church, that I am like a polystyrene cup (modern day equivalent of a jar of clay - weak, fragile), but God and his gospel is the one that is the treasure. Its also coincidental that imprinting my teeth marks onto a polystyrene cup is an enjoyable pastime of mine.

Friday, May 18, 2007

One book finished!

Frequent readers of this site would know how much i struggle to read a book, let alone a Christian one.

Well, I pretty much forced myself to write a book review for the upcoming houseparty so here's a sneak preview of it for you:

Beyond Greed by Brian Rosner

‘I’m not greedy. Why would I wanna read that?’

That was my first reaction when I heard the title of this book. My rationale went something like this – if I’m not greedy, then why would a book called Beyond Greed even be relevant for me. If it’s not a struggle, then why bother trying to overcome it and look beyond it.

But how ignorant I was.

If your reaction to hearing about this book is similar to mine, then can I suggest to you that Beyond Greed is exactly the book for you.

Rosner’s book begins with some stirring words - enough to cause each one of us to search our motives and attitudes towards money and wealth (much like what we’ll be hearing at this houseparty). He succinctly puts forward reasons for why we’re all inherently greedy and puts forward a solution.

In the end, Rosner tells us all to ‘Get a life’ – not the most encouraging and affirming of statements, but in order to find out why, you’ll just have to read the bits in between.



Have you read it? How'd you find it? It certainly gave me a wake up call....post your thoughts!

Now I'm gonna try Michael Hill's the How and Why of Love

Stay posted for a book review (hopefully by year's end!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home